What is Career Planning?
Career Planning is the important process of determining the ideal career for you and figuring out how to turn it into reality. It is estimating, predicting and calculating all the steps needed to achieve your goals.
Effective career planning is a process that can continue throughout your work life. As your life changes, so too can your career plan to reflect your new situation.
The ways in which careers have been viewed has been steadily changing over the years. Careers have changed from being clearly defined to increasingly fluid. The once well defined career paths have been replaced with paths that go in all directions.
Common career issues include:
- Work/life imbalance
- Skill/job mismatch
- Constant change
With the changing look of careers taking place it is becoming increasingly important to focus on career planning.
Benefits of career planning include:
- Manage stress of organizational change
- Develop meaningful career goals and objectives
- Develop a skill portfolio
- Increase job satisfaction
- Plan your learning needs
- Improve communication and alignment
Why Should I Plan my Career?
In May of 2008, the PEI Public Service Commission conducted an Employee Engagement Survey of approximately 3,000 employees. Since then, the survey has been conducted approximately every two years. In 2018, 55% of employees indicated they have opportunities for career growth in the public service, which is an increase of 6.1 percentage points over the ten years.
How can I start Planning my Career?
There are several ways all employees can access tools and resources to identify their personal career goals and ways to achieve those goals:
- Tools provided on this website, including
- Familiarizing myself with the Steps to Successful Career Planning
- Conducting A Career-resiliency" quiz;
- Exploring A Career Coaching Profile; and
- Creating Your Career Roadmap
Information provided comes courtesy of the Career Bundles package provided by Health Canada.