Any government employee who initiates a learning opportunity that will enhance their current job skills or potential future responsibilities relevant to the public service may apply to the Development and Training Fund for up to $2,500 per fiscal year.
The start of the learning opportunity must fall within the current fiscal year (April 1 to March 31).
Am I eligible for funding?
Those eligible for funding from the Development and Training Fund for Excluded Employees are those who are employed by the Prince Edward Island Civil Service, Health PEI, Public Schools Branch, or French Language Schools Branch, in a supervisory or confidential role with the employer and who are also excluded from any Bargaining Unit (Civil Service Act s.43(2)). Casual and temporary employees appointed through the Public Service Commission must have one year of continuous service with government, excluded or unionized, before they become eligible for funding from the fund. The fund provides a maximum of $2,500 per employee, per fiscal year.
What is the deadline to apply for funding?
Submit the completed application by the 2nd Wednesday of the month, no earlier than 60 days before and no later than the commencement of the learning opportunity. (Exception: Early bird registrations may be accepted earlier than 60 days.) Applications will NOT be accepted after the commencement of the learning opportunity.
How to I apply for funding?
First you must apply to your department training fund, if available. Funding confirmation or denial must accompany your application.
You must submit the following documentation with your application:
- Proof of registration in your learning session (if possible)
- Signed authorization from your supervisor, for time off work to attend learning opportunity (if applicable)
A separate application is required for each learning opportunity.
What criteria will the selection committee follow?
The selection committee will review each application with the following considerations:
- Applications must be submitted in full, accompanied by all supporting documentation. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Learning opportunity must be employee initiated; department-mandated training and development mandated is not eligible for funding.
- Only learning that supports knowledge growth and skills beneficial to both the employee and the employer will be considered, i.e. developmental and applicable to the public sector.
- Each learning opportunity is eligible for funding one time only.
- First-time applicants who have not received funding this current fiscal year will have priority.
- The following is not eligible for funding:
- Fees, i.e. professional dues, membership fees, exam costs
- Travel, accommodation or meal costs
- Course materials, books and supplies
The committee may withhold new funding until you have satisfied all the responsibilities associated with previously funded learning opportunities.
What other obligations are associated with funding?
Once your application is approved, you are required to:
- Submit invoices and receipts before March 31st of the current fiscal year and no later than 60 days following commencement of the learning opportunity; otherwise your application will be considered revoked.
- Provide proof of completion at the conclusion, i.e. certificate or final mark.
- Notify the fund administrator immediately if you withdraw or your program is cancelled.
Once you receive funding, you are required to reimburse the full amount if you:
- Do not complete the learning opportunity as agreed; or
- Choose to leave the provincial public service within six months.
For more information, please see the Excluded Development and Training Guidelines.